Modesty's Low Carb Build-Your-Own Ramen "Recipe"

 This is not a proper recipe by any means. Just some thing I enjoy making for myself that I'm writing down. After all, this is mostly a crafty, game design, project blog. 

Anywho, I'm not going to make this like other recipe blogs with a whole story about how I came up with it. The only things I'll say are...it's not authentic...it's not trying to be. It's only an approximation made with ingredients found at most major grocery stores so you don't have to go to a specialized marketplace or order online. Here are the basics. 

Broth - Protein - Noodles - Veggies - Toppers

You will need a big pot on medium-low heat to combine ingredients in. However, some ingredients may need extra preparation in a pan, microwave or oven. 



Broth Base

The base of "real" ramen varies depending on the type of ramen. For our case, I find that Bone Broths are the best for the base. 

I usually get a couple cups worth of bone broth. I prefer to use beef, but chicken works as well. 

If you're not into bone broths, I've also made this ramen using stocks. If you want to keep it meatless, veggie stock isn't bad.

But the broth needs seasoning to make it like Ramen. My favorite thing to use is Umami Dashi...which is vegan. (It's made of mushrooms instead of fish.) This gives the broth more of the authentic taste of ramen broth. 

My second favorite thing to use is Miso. The Kettle & Fire brand of Miso broth is nice to add or Miso paste or as a last resort the powdered stuff. 

You can season the broth however you please. I have added minced garlic because I'm nutty like that. Feel free to experiment with flavors! Some like it a bit hotter or spicier, but not me. 

Main Protein

Most ramen soups have a main protein Chasu Pork (Pork belly) is the most common. I've seen beef, chicken and tofu as well. 

I don't know where to find pork belly at a grocery store...but I've never really looked either. (Maybe sliced pancetta). Anyway, my preference is tofu anyway. 

For tofu, you'll want firm or extra firm tofu. Usually, I'm too lazy to really properly prep tofu. 
When I'm more ambitious, I make Crispy Baked Tofu. But usually, I just drain it, squeeze out moisture, cut it and drop it in the broth. The baked tofu is much better. 

For other meats, I'd suggest using thin strips or "chicken tenders" that you'd pan fry cut up and put into the broth. (Or if you're like me, you get them frozen.) Shrimp is another option but I'm allergic so don't know how to prep 'em. 

Noodles

Now here's where things get troublesome for keto or low-carb diets. When I made the full-carb version, I'd use the cheap packages of ramen noodles or udon. (Man, do I love me some udon noodles.) Unfortunately, those are not keto. So, I use Konjac noodles. (Also known as Shirataki or Miracle Noodles.) Most groceries stores carry these, but you may need to go to an "organic" grocery. Many times they come in "Angel Hair" or "Spaghetti"...but any noodle shape works. For these I just drain and rinse for a few seconds then just dump it into the soup. 

While I've never made Zoodles or any other kind of veggie noodles, they probably work too. You may try the prepackaged lentil noodles, chickpea noodles or black bean noodles, but you'd have to boil them to al dente in a different pot. 

Shirataki/Konjac noodles are really the closest and easiest to prepare and keto-friendly. 

Veggies

Of course, there are all types of veggies that you can put in a ramen. Memna Mushrooms, bean sprouts, Nori Seaweed, Bamboo Sprouts, Snap Peas, Edamame and green onion are all pretty traditional. Some of these you can find in the frozen veggies or the "Asian Food" section of a grocery store. I tend to get baby corn, stir-fry mushrooms, Bamboo Shoots, Broccoli, chives in my soups. For frozen veggies, microwave first or stir fry before adding to the soup. 

Now, I'm such a cheap-o, that I just get things from cans or jars, drain the juices and throw them in the soup. I could stand to put a bit of flavoring on the veggies before they go in. Soy sauce, mirin, garlic or seasoning powders would be recommended for more flavor. 

Toppers

There are a couple other things commonly found in ramen that don't fit in these categories. 
Uzumaki (Fish Cakes) and "Ramen Eggs" or Ajitsuke.
Now, I can't handle the fish cakes myself (allergies). But I love making the ramen eggs. The recipe I linked to is where I got my inspiration but my version is EVEN lazier than that. 
For one...I don't use soft-boiled eggs. I can never get the timing right for them. I just get the pre-peeled hard-boiled eggs. (This is the ultimate, exhausted working adult version of ramen that's not just boiling hot water...I mean...really that's the ultimate tired working adult version...this is just the Keto version.)
Anywho, I use the recipe I link above but use hard-boiled eggs. They need at least 2 - 3 hours of soaking to be properly egged, but overnight or longer is much better. 

Instead of Uzumaki, I use sliced water chestnuts. I also like to sprinkle sesame seeds on my stuff. 

Cooking

Once I have my ingredients, it's literally just throwing everything in the pot and letting it simmer for awhile. Don't let it boil. Once things are soaked...or you're really hungry and it's warm, scoop into a bowl and enjoy. 

For the eggs, I put them in near the end when most everything else is warmed up just to give them a bit of warmth. I slice them after I put them in my bowl. 

While it doesn't have the body or savory-ness of restaurant ramen, it is a step up from cup ramen or packaged ramen. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene