3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

 There have been some hiccups in this process unfortunately. I still think this is a doable thing but for me, I have given up and purchased a Cricut machine to do what I wanted to do. It is still worth talking about where things were going so well and not so well. 

It's got a Knife!

So I purchased a generic knife holder with blades that fit elegantly into the blade holder I 3D-printed. I used small rubber bands to hold the holder together. I got my cutting mat and a piece of paper and started running some tests. And...it did work in SOME directions, but often the blade would get caught in certain areas on the flat bed. So I continually tried to mess with the bed level manually. No matter what I did, there were just some areas on the bed that would catch the knife. 

The thing is, I had noticed in my 3D printing stencils as well that the corners just wouldn't get level. Thus I am struggling to remove stencils from acrylic glass. 

So the big lesson I learned here is that, the bed MUST be very level! 

And it's possible that my bed is slightly warped from all the heat over the past couple years. 

You can see there are fewer layers in the upper line of her hair.

Auto Bed Leveling

This started me on my decision to get an auto leveling device for my printer. I looked into both the Creality brand devices the CR Touch and BL Touch. In the end, I was convinced that the CR touch would be the better choice. However, I checked my electronics on my machine (the motherboard) and realized that my model was old so I got the adaptors for it too. 

Now, what I did not realize is how finicky and complicated this device could be. Turns out that my motherboard is an 8-bit board and the device I purchased requires a 32-bit board. However, I was still able to physically install it with the adaptors. I downloaded some firmware meant for the BL Touch for an 8-bit motherboard to see if things would still work. 

At first, it seemed to work! It would auto-home to the right spot. But since the CR Touch was wider than expected, the blade holder needed adjustments. So I took it off for the time being to just get the CR Touch working. However, when I did that, suddenly it was colliding with the bed on the Z-axis. 

Right now, I am not sure where to start with troubleshooting this issue. Because it WAS working with the BL Touch firmware, I figured that I would not need to upgrade the motherboard. Or it may be that I used outdated firmware. I don't want to break my machine but at this point I'm debating if I should return the CR Touch in exchange for a BL touch which would work with my 8-bit motherboard. Or do I get a new motherboard and install that? 

The motherboard is more expensive by a couple bucks compared to the BL touch. Plus there's the hassle of exchanging an item. Part of me thinks, maybe I can get it to work since it seemed to for a bit. 

All in all, I'm just plain frustrated, so I opted to buy a Cricut because I do have several projects that require stencils, engraving and such. It's worth the investment to me. 

I will no longer arm my 3D printer with a knife, but I do want to get the leveler working. Just it's become a challenge beyond my scope. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Image Preparation