3D Prop-agation

I'm getting better at 3D printing props. Who knew there's a learning curve to everything?

So a few things I've learned so far from mistakes I've made. What I've successfully made. And what I'll be reprinting.

First successes:

12-Hole Ocarina of Time
6 - hole Ocarina of Time
Dagger of Venom
Rupees
Corona Mask of Darth Vader's mouth
Prince Lotor's Sword
Princess Zelda Shoulder Armor (half done)
Zelda Crown
Zelda Belt

Mild Successes (They came out okay but due to my own error they didn't construct correctly):

BOTW Master sword
Shekiah Slate
Dienonychus Skull
Glass Dagger
Zelda's Sword
Linkle's compass

My Common Mistakes

  • Messing with the machine while it's printing. 
  • Not properly leveling the bed
  • Increasing wall count which makes pieces no longer fit together. 
  • Travel speeds and print order knocks over tall pieces
  • Poor object orientation
  • Sacrificing quality and strength for speed
  • Not thinking through lighting solutions. 

I think my biggest revelation so far has been the wall count thing. See a lot of models I downloaded would connect pieces with this sort of peg and hole system. However what I didn't realize is that because I added about .4mm to the wall count it made the holes smaller but the pegs bigger. So I end up really trying to muscle pieces together which causes breaks or trying to cut down the peg until it can fit in the hold. 
See I tend to want 3 walls when I don't print with infill to increase structure stability. But this has been the downside of it. 

My solutions for this at this point are: 
- Remove pegs on models when possible and just use scrap filament as guides
- Reducing back down to the default 2 walls and either rolling the dice and not adding infill or adding a low infill percentage
- Use "support blocks" in Cura to change the wall count of pegs so the rest can have the thicker walls.
- Check and follow the model author's recommended print settings

Because of this here are a few items I'm planning to reprint: 
Lotor's Sword
Zelda's Sword blades
A new Master Sword






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene