A Zelda Cosplay - Debating which version to do

So a cosplay that I've wanted to do for awhile is Princess Zelda...or someone from the series. And eventually I may do them all but for now here are the ones I've thought about.


Princess Zelda from Breath of the Wild

As of the writing of this blog, this is the most recent iteration of Princess Zelda. She has multiple outfits to cosplay from. A priestess dress, exploring outfit, princess dress and winter wear. Obviously, I'm not up for winter wear. I am also not confident about pulling off a Greek dress with no determinable way to keep it up over my bosom. (I don't like strapless dresses.) So, the princess dress and explorer outfits would be my options of interest. 

Pros: The explorer outfit is comfortable looking, convention friendly in that I can use my shekiah slate phone case and it has a pouch, there are plenty of patterns available and examples. The dress also looks comfortable and flattering and I don't have to worry about making shoes. The wig styling would be minimal.  

Cons: I've seen a lot of very good, accurate cosplay and don't feel up to snuff, this is not a Zelda I relate to as much, her features are younger than what I can pull off (I feel). So, mostly just feelings of inadequacy. 

Princess Zelda - Hyrule Warriors

So I own this game but haven't played through it yet. Just parts of the opening cutscenes. (Took forever to update). But this was a combination I had not seen before. Zelda in armor and fighting with a sword. Yes! And it's feminine and modest. 

Pros: I could utilize my leather work skills for the armor, it's PINK!, it looks similar to the outfit I designed for my D&D character, the wig is doable as far as styling is concerned. Found some good tutorials and examples. 

Cons: Complicated design. Sewing would be a beast. LONG wigs are unruly, ugh...boots are hard to make or cover. I don't know anything about the character or her personality. (I should play that game at some point.)

Princess Zelda from Ocarina of Time

Alright, so this game came out during my childhood. I did not get past the Deku Tree and it was a rental. But I liked it and did end up finishing the game in college. As the first 3D Zelda, we get the nice turnaround. "Adult" Zelda seemed to be mature and not have yellow blond hair. 

Pros: I can relate to this version of Zelda. I have only seen a couple of cosplays. I have 3D print files for the shoulder armor and crown. The white and purple dress seems to be within my scope of skill as well as the wig styling. 

Cons: It's an older game, the tabard apron would be a challenge, I don't find the design to be super flattering. 

Linkle from Hyrule Warriors


So, I love this as a concept. I like Link as a character but don't think I could pull off a good Link cosplay. But this cute rendition would be heckin' fun. 

Pros: No complicated embroidery or intricate designs to paint. I have the 3D print patterns for her weapons and stuff. Short hair means little wig styling! It looks super cute!

Cons: Again the youngish character makes me feel old...but not as bad as BOTW Zelda oddly. Tall boots are complicated. I know very little about the character because I haven't played the game. 

Princess Zelda from Twilight Princess

I know this is actually the Zelda from Smash Bros! But it's close enough! Now, Twilight Princess is a meaningful game to me personally as it was the first game I pre-ordered for the first console I ever bought. I was OBSESSED with this game and it's still one I play from time to time...on the very gamecube I first bought all those years ago. This more rugged and "mature" version feels more appropriate for my age. Not only that, it's a flattering dress style. 

Pros: Plenty of patterns, examples, vectors, and tutorials to help me. I have all the necessary 3D print files for her armor, crown, jewelry and sword. I can wear boots I already own. The wig style is doable. I can use my embroidery machine. 

Cons: Embroidering is tough. That tabard is complicated and will be a pain to recreate. It's an older game (but classic). It feel like I have seen a LOT of really talented and accurate cosplays that I can't compete with. 

Conclusion

For now, I think I'm going to first tackle Twilight Princess Zelda since I have already got the 3D print files and stencils for the tabard. 
After that I will probably do Linkle and then Breath of the Wild. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene