Soap Project Phase 1 and 2: Bucks and Molds

 Shaking the dust off this blog to post about my latest little pet project, Melt and Pour soap making. There's no rhyme or reason why I got into it. Candles are on the radar too but this first. 

I decided to make my own silicone molds for my project as well as making my own tube molds out of PLA. My 3D printer is chugging away again! 

Phase 1: Designing the Bucks

Used 3D Builder to make the bases and then used some files from Thingiverse and a few that I made on TinkerCAD. I came up with several Demon Slayer related designs. 

I first designed what I call my Wisteria Soaps. These were based off images of actual kamon (family crests). I kept them small so these could be my "sampler" soaps. 

Then came the "kanji" soaps based on Demon Slayer. I have a few versions of finishes for these including embossed, indented and hollowed. 

Then fox masks I retraced the lines as svg and used TinkerCad to make "cookie cutters" to cut indents into a fox shape. 
Then there were the hashira bars based on their crossguards (tsuba) and some element of their character. I did design all 9 but I only 3D printed 6. 



All these models were printed in PLA, coated with UV resin, and basically set aside for now. 


Phase 2: Making Molds

Finding mold containers that fit and won't leak has been my #1 challenge. I'm attempting to use aluminum foil boxes as I saw something that said it's possible. I need to re-enforce the sides with something but here's all the 3D models printed. 
Wisteria Crest and Destroy Kanji







Bar Soap Designs

My soap making kit came with a mold for 3" x 2" rectangle bars. I opted to make some of my own "tube molds" so I could make inserts. I also 3D printed some "stamps. My plan is to make this represent some of the characters. Here's my rough idea design here: 

Shinobu, Mitsuri, Tanjiro, and Zenitsu will include inserts. Rengoku is going to sort of have an insert that is also a layer. Same with Inosuke. Nezuko and Tomioka will be stamped then painted. 

Next I'll show my "recipes" for these soaps. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene