Prince Lotor Cosplay - Day 0


Technically I've been working on this on and off for over a year. At first it was just going to be a subject of a YouTube video as an example of how I plan costumes. Then I started making the plan and liking the plan and dammit I'm actually working on this.

So, I've gone over the plan a few times in video scripts but here's the basic gist of it:

Layer 0: Padding and such. 

This includes all the underpinnings needed to get that shoulder action going on.
I thought at first that shoulder pads would be enough...but these are not mere power suit shoulder pads...these are more like American Football shoulder pads in shape so that's going to affect the measurements I need for my sleeves and bodysuit. Even though spandex stretches, the seams will look wrong if I don't measure things out correctly and give my arm enough space to live in the sleeve.

Not only that the material I thought would work actually was not working for me. See I thought using the concept with fabric shoulder pads would work so I started using furniture foam and trying to sculpt it out. This resulted in puffy shoulders but not the distinctive shaping.

At this point I've settled that foam armor under the suit or even thermoplastic will be the end result.
Structurally,  it would make sense to have armored shoulders in space wars. But I digress.
Here's my mock up for the shoulder pads using craft foam for now. It was inspired by Princess Zelda from Twilight Princess.

Now I've got my measurements to adjust my pattern for the body suit.

Layer 1: Under Armor/Body Suit

In show, I assume this is all one garment without a seam. :B However, I hate wearing one piece suits. Since there is a belt, I'm splitting the suit in half and making it a shirt and leggings combo.

For the top half I downloaded a pattern for a bodycon top that had long sleeves, a mock turtleneck and was more of a leotard so it stays tucked in. (It has snaps between the legs to keep it on.)
I bought two pairs of leggings in light grey. One pair to cut pieces for the top and the other to wear. I will also be attaching the coat tails to the top of the leggings and cover the seam with a belt. I still need to pattern out and measure the coat tails and purchase the right amount of fabric.

Obviously spandex or stretch performance fabric was my choice for material. However, creating the unique patterning on the bodysuit added a stumbling block. I wasn't sure at first what would be armor and what was fabric suit. I will try my hand at paneling some of the bodysuit but I have fabric paint specifically for dark, stretch fabrics. I found an old stretch turtleneck from an abandoned cosplay and sketched out what's needed for the paneling in spandex.

Layer 2: Armor

Oddly enough, I haven't put in as much thought into the armor as the other parts. Except for a few things. Mostly because I have a lot of guidance for these pieces and not so much for the sewing. (I have lots of books to help me.)

The chest-piece, shoe covers, thigh armor and belt are obviously shaped and I feel confident in my patterning. The gauntlets and greaves have odd designs that don't seem to accommodate well to human anatomy. (Damn thee cartoon logic!)

The material will be EVA foam, sealant and paint.

Layer 3: Special Effects

This does have a few extra hurdles for me: a lace-front wig that needs styling, makeup, and lighting effects. Some things I am familiar with like fangs and latex ears. But I have to color those ears with the same color as my skin tone. Also need to make a plan for how to do the make-up. Since this is a 2D cartoon character, the surface is FLAT which I can't replicate in reality. I need shading and cheats to adjust the perception of my features. Like my nose needs to be narrowed and cheeks hollowed. (This guy's a skinny fucker.)

I am skipping the eyes for the most part. I have never worn contacts before. I could go to my optometrist but if I'm like my dad (which I mostly am) it's unlikely that I'd be able to do it. My eyes are wicked sensitive. They water easily and I have a crazy twitchy blink reflex. Like eyeliner is a NIGHTMARE.

Anywho, makeup design and wig styling are things I need more practice with. I got the wig and some wefts to do some adding to it.

There's a minor lighting effect I plan to use balloon lights for.

Layer 4: Props

This is unplanned at the moment. He does have a sword I've seen a pattern for, but I don't want to carry it around the event. It'd be great for photos or contests. So I'm still debating this. I do have a Pony in his likeness I could carry around, but other than that he really doesn't have like an iconic prop...except a helmet. And I spent too much on a wig to deal with that!

So this will need more consideration.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene