Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Introduction

 I do a lot with my 3D printer. And I found out more I can do with it! Turns out I could turn it into an engraver or a plotter or cutting machine. Not as perfect as the real deal machines but the research has me very excited. 

I made a post on Modesty's Costume Closet, about how I got inspired and how I plan on applying what I have learned in my research. But in that blog, I try to focus on costume application. This one, I'm going to focus on the ART part. (I still go pretty in-depth on the Costume Closet, but I am going to go into more detail here.) 

The plan for this series of posts is: 

>> Introduction: The Research I've done and Basic requirements

  • Preparing Images for Etching, Cutting, or Stencils
  • 3D Printing Stencils onto Glass Process
  • Cutting Vinyl Stencils or Stickers
  • Etching Glass Directly
  • Glass LED Lamp/Display Projects
    • Etched Look
    • Sticker Decal
    • Cel Painted Scene
Note: Currently these are 'in-progress' projects for me. I am writing about ideal situations and potentials based on my research. I will make updates as I fiddle with things. 

The end result I want to have with some of these projects are an edge-lit light: 
Although, I wanted to make it with my favorite characters and some of my own art. So this is what started my journey into researching how to accomplish this with my 3D printer. I wanted to see if I could etch the glass directly but then learned that some people converted their printer to a vinyl cutter like a Cricut or Silhouette machines. If I can mask parts of the glass with stencils, then I could use etching cream or fake it with frosted glass paint. I did learn that there are ways to make your printer a laser engraver, but that was not as appealing to me. 

So I will explain the ideas I have to convert my Creality Ender 3 Pro to a cutter and possibly a plotter/engraver. For now, my focus is making things a cutting machine. 

Basic Requirements/Materials

For any of these projects you will need: 
  • an FDM 3D printer. The kind that deposits filament. My focus will be on the Ender 3 pro which is what I have. 
  • Slicer program. A standard requirement for 3D printing and making gcodes. 
  • Acrylic Glass Blanks 2mm - 4mm thick. You can get them pre-cut or pop glass from a cheap picture frame. 
  • Adhesives or Clips to stabilize the glass or vinyl to your printing bed. 
  • Painter's Tape - to protect the edges of your glass and can be used as adhesives.
  • .STL files to print or cut
  • A base and LED strip lights. You can get them pre-made or made your own. I'm not into electronics so I just got some pre-made ones. 
The different methods will have additional tools and materials for the various methods. 

3D Print a Stencil

For this method you will need: 
  • Filament
  • Optional: Smaller extruder nozzle sizes

Cut Vinyl Stencil or Sticker

This will require some tools specific to the craft of making vinyl stickers. I always debate whether to use alternative tools or the tools marketed to me. 
  • A mount for the cutting knife. I used this Ender 3 Vinyl Cutter mount.
  • A drag knife or vinyl cutting knife casing. A 45-degree knife works. I got the casing for the Roland brand machine. It fits perfectly in the Cutter mount I downloaded. 
  • Rubber bands or zip ties
  • A self-healing cutting board cut to the same size as your printer bed. Ideally, get one with a tacky surface like the ones used with Cricut machines
  • Vinyl to cut. Removable vinyl for stencils and permanent for stickers. 
  • A scraping tool or rubber spatula
  • A sticker weeder or dentist pick or sculpting pick or toothpicks. Getting pieces out is called weeding. 
  • Transfer Tape - To move the stencil from the paper backing onto your project. 
  • Xacto Knife

Glass Etching

*This is in the experimental phases! These are items I THINK you might need. 
Alternatively: You can get a laser engraving accessory for the Ender 3 series through Creality. If that is a thing you want to do. It is much more economical than most laser engraving machines I've seen on the market, but that said, I cannot verify its overall quality. 😅

Planned Projects

I have about 7 projects planned because that is how many blanks I currently have. 😂 We'll see if ANY are successful. I will be using these as the basis for my "tutorials". (The images are for character reference only. Not the final Image.)

Goro Etched Lamp

For my character Goro, I intend to print a 3D stencil then use Frosted Glass paint to make a lamp. 
Not using this image per se.

Prince Lotor Sticker Decal

I got some very pretty silver glitter vinyl permanent sticker stuff to make a sticker out of the fallen prince of the stars, Lotor. 🤩 The plan is to stick the decal on glass then paint the back of the glass with some mirror chrome stars and dots then painted with my metallic sheen Obsidian acrylic paint. 

My handsome space drow

Ruka and Baby Kyojuro Painted Scene

So excited for this one but also the most intense. I'm printing a 3D stencil of these two to spray in the lineart in black. Then I will hand paint the scene in color. Then paint the background either in a Sea Glass or Chrome Mirror finish. 
So Freakin adorbs! 💕

Tanjiro and Kyojuro Etch Lamp

Found a cool stencil with these two that I intend to cut out of vinyl to make a stencil to then use some Glass Etching Cream. 
I'm sure it'll be fine...








It's only fatal when ingested...uh-oh...

Deku in Frosted Glass

Again, 3D printing a stencil and using Sea Glass Paint. Another somewhat no frills piece. Although I may use the etching cream if I like it better. 
Gloves on. Time for dirty work.

Costumed Bakugo Silver Decal 

Gawd I wish I could etch this image but alas...not right for it. Anyway, I have some metallic silver permanent vinyl to make this sticker out of. Just going to put it on the glass and call it done and have it as a lamp although, if necessary I may paint some kind of background in black. 
Spider-verse Bakugo by Karina Farek.

Bakugo Lineart on Gold

This one will be interesting because I'm doing it as a sort of "reverse" stencil...or inverse stencil I guess is more appropriate. Once printed, I'm painting over it with my metallic gold paint. So the lineart will be on clear glass when done. Then I'll paint the back black so black lineart on gold. Shine on that crazy diamond! 
Not putting up with any BS.

Research

All these things are based on the videos I've seen of people trying the same thing. 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Ruka and Kyojuro Painted Scene