Dalish Inquisitor costume


Curse you inspiration. I'm not saying I'm actually going to MAKE this costume since I need to finish Tali and the Grey Warden costume first. But I am half-tempted to drop the Warden for this. Ugh but so much of it is done. Must finish. So here's the plan.

Costume Analysis


There are 4 layers: Chainmaille, Green Armor, Limb Armor, Clothe bits

Chainmail looks like a bit body suit. but most likely shirt and chaps. There are seams that are visible on the chain itself. For the feet, it looks like clothe sandals. Same with fingerless gloves.

Green Armor: A bodice and Tassets. They look like they're a firm leather with some raised designs. Because it's a game, the bodice is all one piece with no discernible method of keeping it on. although I guess you could tie it in the back.
The tassets look simple enough and attach to a mystery belt under the bodice.

Limb Armor: These (on my screen shots) are coppery/Bronze in color. The Arms have pauldrons mixed of leather, fabric and feathers. There's elbow pads and bracers all with obvious belt attachements. Yay.
The legs are a tall leather braid bracer attached with belts.

Clothe Bits: Over the tassets is a cloth hip skirt that looks to be made of a scrunched up clothe. The skirt is a stiffer fabric with applique design. (Argh!) There's also a bronze ornament on the front skirt. (Codpiece?) It's got a vague deer-head design.  
The Belt is a quilted thick cloth wrap with a leather belt and big bronze buckle.

Plan of Attack

Chainmaille: Real chain is out of the question.
Solution: Nylon Mesh fabric shirt and leggings. I can get the brown seams with brown fabric that I have easily and it comes in silver so win!

Feet and hands will be easy enough. I just need a pair of knee high socks. Oooo...look open toe socks. Even better. For the feet I'd just need a pair of disposable flip-flops for conventions. For the hands I plan to just to wear socks on my hands and cut holes.

Green Armor: Now this I thought about a bit. At first I thought Foam and Worbla. DONE. But now that I look at it I'm thinking foam and green vinyl. (Or brown with paint. Either way the armor is going to be painted.)
I've also thought to save on material to split the bodice into two pieces: the upper half and the belt half. Thanks to the mid-section belt thing I can get away with this nicely. I think. But a full bodice won't hurt either.

The Tassets are foam and leather covered too.

Limb Armor: The legs are just another foam and pleather cover so I don't see any issues with that. Even with the "braid" pattern.

The bracers and elbow pad are simple enough too. They will be Worbla and Foam pieces.

The pauldrons are a bit odd. Part of it sits directly on the shoulder, the other seems to float over it. And in the back there's a cloth drape with a symbol on it. Cloth part will be some kind of cotton flannel or whatever I use for the skirts. For my design instead of black feathers, I'll probably use the white yak fur I have from the Alistair costume. (We'll call it Halla fur and say it makes sense.)

Clothe Bits:
For the skirt wrap, Gauze Linen will work nicely. For the belt some quilting fabric plus batting for stuffing. I may sew in the belt because why not? I may line the top with elastic and have it pull over instead of wrap around and velcro in the back. Hmm...nah it needs to be cinched.

The skirts purple broadcloth with Lining material for the trim pattern.

For the buckle and ornament foam and worbla probably. Or clay and gesso.

Extra: Inquisitor Helmet - Foam and Worbla
Dragon Staff: Wooden Dowel +Sculpture (insulation foam most likely or Crayola model magic.)

Proposed Budget/Supply List:

Silver Mesh: Leggings = 1.5 yds, Shirt 1 yd. Sooo about 2.5 yds total = $8 -$12 per yard ( $20 -$30)

Worbla : $61-$88

Green Vinyl:  $5 per yard, need about 1.5 yds. ($7.50)

Green Stockings:$2.50, need 2 pairs so ($5)

Brown Vinyl: Owned

Kyrlon/Rust-Oleum Paint Copper: $6

Acrylic Paints: Owned

 Gesso - $6

EVA Foam 3-5 mm: $1-$4 ea. (I'll need lots soooo let's say about $10 worth)

 Gauze Linen - .5 yards needed. $2

Quilt block - 1yd. $5

Batting - Owned

Lining - ~2 yds. $4

Broad Clothe ~ 2yds $2 per yard ($4)

Elf Ears - $12

Total for fabric (Mesh, Vinyl, Linen, Lining, Broadcloth, Quilt block) ($42 according to Fabric.com order)

Total Cost so far:  $142 - $169

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Making a 3D Print Stencil