Prince Lotor - Day 16.5

Just a minor update. I painted the latex ears today. But I thought I'd just do a brief piece on this because the information about how to get latex elf ears to match an unnatural skin tone were not in a convenient place. So, here's what I gleaned from my research and what I did.

1) You can mix your acrylic paints with liquid latex and apply it to the ear.
2) You can also apply acrylic paints directly to the ear.
3) Water-based cake makeup like Krylon Aquacolor or Mehron Paradise are safe to use.
4) Rubber Mask Grease (RMG) makeup is safe to use on latex ears.
5) You can cover the latex in Linseed Oil before applying paints

The big take away was you do not want to use mineral based makeup on them since it degrades the latex. But as you can see there are a lot of options.

the method I used was simply taking a wedge sponge and coloring the ears with the makeup intended for my skin.

1) I wash and dry the ears since they've been in the bag for a couple years.
Cleaned ears.

2) I tested on one ear. The pigment went on easily. I let it dry a bit before applying a second coat.

3) Did the same for the other ear. I also had some setting powder that I brushed on with a blusher brush.

4) I did this a couple more times until the ears were well covered.

5) I took a paint brush and some of my dark purple eyeshadow and filled in darker areas.

6) Took a whitish or grey color for "highlights".

7) Took some hot pink to the tips and near the ear back to give the ears some life.

8) More powdered sugar! SNORT IT OFF. I mean brush it in.

I put them back in their bag until they are needed once more.
Today I bought a new wig cap and some liquid latex to blend the ears and maybe hide my eyebrows. I'm going to do a practice run on the makeup this weekend and /gulp/ Style the wig.

I think I have a plan for that too. I took the wig out of the bag to get a good look at it. OMG...it's beautiful. I put it right back. For this I need to possibly do a bit of ventilating on the hairline. Insert some side burns and the angler fish dangly thingy.
For the antennae, I'm going to construct a small felt base to support it. Have two wires in a small V formation covered with a bit of white foam. Then glue the wefts to it and style the length hard with spiking glue. We'll see if my half-baked plan pans out.

Then maybe I can make a sword. :) Or more likely sew on cat legs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Image Preparation