Prince Lotor - Day 18 + 19

It's getting close. I can feel it. After several roadblocks this week, the costume is finally in a wearable state. So I'll be doing a test this weekend for any last minute stuff.

Now here's what I worked on last time:

Belt: 

I redid the belt. After seeing how uncomfortably it sat on the dress form and what I needed it to do, I opted to change it. So I took it apart and used the pieces to trace out the buckles in craft foam and the sides in black spandex. The nice thing about this is that using spandex meant I had now TWO side-saddle bags basically making them ultimate pockets/fanny packs. Amazing.

I wrapped the buckles in black worbla and smothered the front buckle in velcro.

Sword:

So I also started the base work for the sword. I had most of the pieces already cut out. 


First I shortened my PVC pipe with a hack saw. I dremeled a groove in one of the blades and put in two plastic straws before contact cementing the two sides together. 
I also cut one more tracing of the hilt so it was thick enough. I cut out a section to fit the battery pack. 
This el wire will serve to light up the hilt in certain spots. After this point I cut off the handle I made in foam and fitted the pvc pipe. I had to string the wire through it. 
In my haste I think I cut off too much of the foam handle, so I'm researching how to make the connection more solid. But for now, all the sword is glued down and ready for a heck-a lot of sanding. (I got a handle for sandpaper. Did some testing with it and it will work. Just take time.) 
The grip (pvc pipe) will be more securely fastened to the battery pack after I make the adjustments on the hand guards along the sides. Those need to be sanded down and sculpted a bit then cut off completely. I need to make a pathway to feed the wire in the middle layer of foam. 
The plan is to then use moldable plastic to encase the hand guards then dye the plastic and diffuse it a bit. For the pommel, I have a sword that has the same shape so I'm also going to use moldable plastic on that. 
Then I can feed the el wire where it needs to go into both hand guards and the pommel jewel. Then I can secure the pvc pipe grip, wrap it in craft foam and use craft foam to cover the battery pack. Boom. Then seal and paint. 😁 

That was all of Saturday. Quite productive. 
Throughout the week I've been fiddling with the wig. I finally got some thinning shears (from the pet store. LOL.) and I got the recommended hairspray. Now , I'm properly spiking things. Slicked back the hair MORE and I think I'm finally at a place that I can call it good enough. The rest of the tweaking needs to be done while the wig is on my head. 

Stupid angler fish dangly do. đŸ˜Ŧ The elastic band to keep it on needs a bit of extra securing. And I may need to shorten the sideburns but again...tweaking stuff. 

I've also only got one more leg to sew onto the cat. The eyes stopped lighting up so I have to figure out how to fix that too. 😛

So always fiddling with it. It's starting to stress me out a bit. I'm also feeling super anxious about wearing it out. 😖I got my ticket for wizardworld on Saturday so I can compete. But now I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how the heck I'm going to make this work. My plan is to wear part of the costume to the event to check in (likely the top, belt, jeans and normal shoes). Going to get the weapon checked early too. After that, enjoy the event as a normie for a few hours. Must remember to bring my own food. About 2 hours before the costume contest, put on the makeup, pants, armor and wig in my car. Granted that I find parking AT the event. 😩I hate downtown Austin. ARGH! 

I'm a bit sad my Ikkicon plans fell through, because I decided to participate in my parish's Ephiphany play. Ren faire costumes, singing on stage, and fellowship. Yay. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sims4 Tutorial: Making Custom Food Vampire Friendly

3D Printer to Die-Cutter Progress

Acrylic Glass Art with 3D printing Series: Image Preparation